Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The First Day of School!

Do you remember your first day of school? I do. I loved school, and from the time I was three or so I wanted to go to school. As a matter-of-fact my senior English teacher lived across the street from me and had a private Kindergarten when I was three. She said I used to sit on her front porch and beg her to let me go to school! And when I was kindergarten age you had to pay to go to kindergarten, they did not have kindergarten in the schools....so I did not get to go to kindergarten because of lack of funds to do so. By the time I was old enough to go to first grade I was so ready I surely drove my Moma crazy with anticipation!

As I got older my love for school never dwindled. I still love school. I would go back today and get my doctorate if I felt the cost could be justified just for the sheer satisfaction of saying I had my doctorate and my children having to call me Dr. Mom!

I taught school for ten years and I loved getting ready for the students to arrive and I don't think I ever really lost that "idealistic" thinking of what school would be like for the students as well as myself as their teacher. Sometimes I miss it, other times I am glad to be out of the politics of it...you know....the place where "ideals" die. Overall, I believe every child can learn and loves to learn and can have fun doing so.

Anyway, today was the first day of school for three of the six children living in my home right now. I say children.....these young people are 16, 14, and 12. They have been homeschooled and attended public school for the first time today. I asked them if they were ready and two of them were, while the third was a bit apprehensive. That is understandable. I mean, they have just moved here from another city, attending another church, living in someone else's house, and attending school for the very first time....at ages 12, 14, and 16.

It was daunting for me to think about and I prayed hard for them today. I can't imagine at their age undertaking such a task. Life at their age is hard enough without being the new kid at school and new to school. But kids are resillient and when they came home they said they had a good time. I am glad. I want them to like school and be well accepted.

And...since it has been 1995 since I actually had any kids in school.....I forgot how hungry they are when they arrive back home!

I guess I better go fix supper, growing boys don't last long on snacks....girls either!

No comments:

CHA-CHING!

For those of you who are too young to remember....this is all Doogie Houser's fault...all this blogging! Doogie Houser was young doctor, just a boy really. He graduated from High School at too young an age and then attended medical school graduating at the top of his class. But genius had nothing to do with how he related to the world socially so he suffered the same things that "normal" teenagers did. He would come home from his work at the hospitol and put his words to computer keys and keep track of his daily thoughts and happenings much like most teenagers did in diaries or journals. So...here we are.

I have been contemplating this blog thing for awhile, but just today finally decided to make it a reality.

Much of life is changing right now, so why not try some new things along with all the other changes.

I don't really like change very much. They say that becomes more common the older you get, and I suppose it is true. I like routine, status quo, the way things used to be. And yet, one of my favorite quotes is, "If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got!" That means if you don't want what you always got....you have to change!

So, change we do. Right now, Thor, the love of my life, is going through change on his job. What he is doing he has done before, but not for almost a decade. At first, when he told me he felt like an old dinosaur and would have to learn "how to" all over again I thought he was being silly. Until I was interviewing for jobs after 16 years and had to learn "how to" all over again. He was not being silly at all. He was being honest. There is a great deal of difference in approaching a task when you are fresh out of college and ready to take on the world idealistically and doing so when you are aware of reality. But...I am happy to say, Thor has come through with flying colors, as I knew he would, and doing a great job...at his "new" old job!

Our son, the Bohemian, has just taken a new job assignment in a new town. He has been struggling with living without his family until they can sell their house or at least rent it and move to his new location with him. It has been difficult and is getting really tiresome after five months. But, there does seem to be some parting of the clouds. The Bohemian, the Busy Bee, Mr. Golden Curls, and the Lil' Spitfire are all looking forward to the one change that will bring them all under one roof!

Our daughter, Lizardbreath, and her husband, the Rock have just returned home after being gone for nearly a month attending a business convention in Nevada and visiting Thor and I in Oklahoma. Today they are having a Princess Birthday Party for The Princess. She will be six on Tuesday! That does not seem possible. And yet another change is occuring....we are not able to be there! This is the first birthday we have missed for any of our 6 grandchildren....and I hope it will be the last. But gas prices and the fact that I will be leaving for Colorado with Tickle Sister on Tuesday made the trip impractical, especially since they were just here last week. But, we called her today and the Princess said it was alright, she got the present we sent her.

Well, time for another change. I must leave this computer and go keep Thor company....I know he is just waiting for me to add conversation and comments to his television viewing pleasure.....What?!