Thursday, September 18, 2008

Workin 9:00 to 5:00...La la la la la la la la

So far work is good. My supervisor is very patient with me. She told me there are no useless questions. That is good to know....because to be quite frank with you....right now I feel pretty ignorant about this new world I have entered.

I remember when I started back to school after 15 years to get my elementary certification and master's in reading. During the first class, sitting among students mostly 15 years my junior, I felt like Charlie Brown when his teacher talks..wa, wa, wa, wa, etc. After that class I was ready to drop out. My professor told me to hang in there, before I knew it I would be familiar with the lingo. And so it was.

Well, that is the way I felt on Monday. I must have looked like I had no idea what she was saying, because she would explain it again in different terms. It did make it better that she is my age and a Christian to boot. By the end of the day she asked me if my head was swimming with all the information I had been given.

Of course the first day was primarily just an orientation and setting up of all the one hundred billion sites, user names, and passwords you have to know to access all the places your information is stored. (Yes, Rock, I said "one hundred billion"! ) When I finally learned to get around on the computer and was given my project...it was mid-afternoon! And we won't even go into the prank calls I received!

The second day I got there, made my way through the maze of information to get to where I needed, just got ready to work.. and suddenly my computer screen started talking to me. "Do you have the time for me to set up Log Me In and Instant Message?" Of course I did. I had to have those to stay in touch with my supervisor, who today was at the main office and not with me at mine. And if I hadn't I don't think there would have been much I could have done to prevent it anyway. It was interesting to watch as the Techno Nerd took over the screen and navigated through the process. But of course it is never as simple as it sounds, so after several a good while the programs were up and running. The computer screen asked me if he could do anything else for me. I asked him how he made that notepad thing appear on my computer and if I could do the same so I could talk with my supervisor that way. He said, "No, it was something he did." I had to laugh, and told him that he and the Rock had an unfair advantage over the rest of us. He agreed. After lunch, I was able to get back to my project....and I am happy to say I was able to complete at least one part of it, although the office was busy. Who knew that a tax office could be so busy on the off season!

On Wednesday the office was quiet, I knew where I was going, how to get there, and got finished with my first project! Ya! Success!!! I called my supervisor to tell her and she was on the phone and would call me to give me my next project. I waited....and about five minutes to closing she called to say she would call me in the morning....go home. So I did.

Today, I did nothing I had done before so people were talking gibberish to me again, but Susan was there today so she helped when I got stuck. By the end of the day I was once again back on track with success but not completion....she told me to get used to that. Tomorrow I should be able to complete the assigned tasks.....I hope. Anyway, this job is not going to be boring...and I am going to learn a lot. But I don't mind telling you it is a bit perplexing...why would anyone want me to work in the accounting office of a multi-million dollar business!! When I say that, they laugh and say....you will be fine.

So far working 9:00-5:00 has been good. And, Lizardbreath and the Bohemian will be glad to know I am learning how to use the Ctrl C and Ctrl V keys to copy and paste!

1 comment:

SoonerAggieMom said...

Kay! I just found your blog from Kankel fam. What a small world. I found her on facebook from your page after seeing she was from owasso.

Anyway, can't wait to read your blog. Come over to mine too.

Love ya!
Laura A. in Houston

CHA-CHING!

For those of you who are too young to remember....this is all Doogie Houser's fault...all this blogging! Doogie Houser was young doctor, just a boy really. He graduated from High School at too young an age and then attended medical school graduating at the top of his class. But genius had nothing to do with how he related to the world socially so he suffered the same things that "normal" teenagers did. He would come home from his work at the hospitol and put his words to computer keys and keep track of his daily thoughts and happenings much like most teenagers did in diaries or journals. So...here we are.

I have been contemplating this blog thing for awhile, but just today finally decided to make it a reality.

Much of life is changing right now, so why not try some new things along with all the other changes.

I don't really like change very much. They say that becomes more common the older you get, and I suppose it is true. I like routine, status quo, the way things used to be. And yet, one of my favorite quotes is, "If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got!" That means if you don't want what you always got....you have to change!

So, change we do. Right now, Thor, the love of my life, is going through change on his job. What he is doing he has done before, but not for almost a decade. At first, when he told me he felt like an old dinosaur and would have to learn "how to" all over again I thought he was being silly. Until I was interviewing for jobs after 16 years and had to learn "how to" all over again. He was not being silly at all. He was being honest. There is a great deal of difference in approaching a task when you are fresh out of college and ready to take on the world idealistically and doing so when you are aware of reality. But...I am happy to say, Thor has come through with flying colors, as I knew he would, and doing a great job...at his "new" old job!

Our son, the Bohemian, has just taken a new job assignment in a new town. He has been struggling with living without his family until they can sell their house or at least rent it and move to his new location with him. It has been difficult and is getting really tiresome after five months. But, there does seem to be some parting of the clouds. The Bohemian, the Busy Bee, Mr. Golden Curls, and the Lil' Spitfire are all looking forward to the one change that will bring them all under one roof!

Our daughter, Lizardbreath, and her husband, the Rock have just returned home after being gone for nearly a month attending a business convention in Nevada and visiting Thor and I in Oklahoma. Today they are having a Princess Birthday Party for The Princess. She will be six on Tuesday! That does not seem possible. And yet another change is occuring....we are not able to be there! This is the first birthday we have missed for any of our 6 grandchildren....and I hope it will be the last. But gas prices and the fact that I will be leaving for Colorado with Tickle Sister on Tuesday made the trip impractical, especially since they were just here last week. But, we called her today and the Princess said it was alright, she got the present we sent her.

Well, time for another change. I must leave this computer and go keep Thor company....I know he is just waiting for me to add conversation and comments to his television viewing pleasure.....What?!